Monday, March 18, 2013

Getting into the Biz


Thanks to Roman May

I didn’t know a thing about houses when I first got into real estate. I started thinking about it and for the longest time I was just spinning my wheels at the desk job I had (and hated) and I knew I wanted something more flexible. I think about it every day and now I’m so glad I took the leap. I signed up for my real estate licensing class which wasn’t too bad and once I got my license I felt better prepared to practice. I had a friend, thankfully, that worked at an agency in town and he got me hired on part time – it was really the perfect way to learn the business and find out what area I wanted to be in. Now I specialize in finding first time home buyers their perfect place – it’s nice to feel like I’m helping someone on a daily basis. I certainly didn’t feel like that when I was sitting around looking at spreadsheets all day! Now I get to answer questions about school districts and www.ElectricCompaniesTexas.net and whether or not the four-lane highway being built will impact noise levels, you know, stuff homeowners worry about. I love feeling like I’m the point of contact for someone on one of the most important decisions of their life and I know my clients tell me I’ve been a big help. It’s not like I’m a therapist or anything but I do really relish the times I feel like I’m helping people realize a dream. And I also love that in real estate I get to set my own hours and generally be my own boss. It’s nice not to be stuck in a cubicle all day and I really wish I had taken this on a long time ago. I spent too many years doing a job I hated and only making half the money I make now – real estate is the business to be in if you have a personality like mine!

No comments: