Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Trash Your TV

I gave up TV in 1994. I just rebeled against the satellite & cable companies.

I remember when satellite & cable was first coming into homes across the country. I remember how there were not any commercials. Why? Because we (the customer) was told that there would be no commercials because it was all paid for with our monthly fee to have satellite or cable. Well the companies got out money for each and every month and I guess they figured out how to double and triple their money. So the advertising (commercials) began. Now if you have satellite or cable you have commercials. Not only that, you pay to watch the commercials. Imagine that. And get this! You only get certain packages when you subscribe to satellite or cable. So that tells me that you pay the satellite or cable companies to tell you what you can watch. Kinda ironic to me!

I have people ask me -
Did you see that show last night? or Have you seen the commercial about...?
My reply is simply - no - I don't watch tv. And what do you think their reply is? They ask, "You really don't watch tv?" All the time they are asking they are looking at me as if I just grew 3 more heads. Then I have to go into a spill about how tv has taken so much time away from families and so on and so on.

Here is what I figured - If the average household pays $50 a month for tv and they do that for 12 months, that is $600 per year. In 10 years of doing with tv you save $6000. Just in case you thought you didn't read that last dollar figure correctly, here is is again - Six Thousand Dollars.

CHILDREN ARE EXPOSED TO AN AVERAGE OF 50,000 TV COMMERCIALS PER YEAR
CHILDREN WITNESS 14,000 SEXUAL REFERENCES ON TV YEARLY

You can go to this link to read great "True Stories about Trashing your TV http://trashyourtv.com/

Here is an article that will blow your mind. It decribes in length about the affects of tv.
http://www.apa.org/releases/childrenads.html

What are we really teaching our children?

No comments: