Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Let the Quitting Begin

Monday March 10th 2007 - I began an adventure like no other adventure I have ever tried.

Today is the second day of my adventure. I know it isn't going to be easy and I know it isn't going to be completed over night. I know that I must stick to this and see it to the end.

Let the Quitting Begin!

I'm quitting smoking!

I have finally got the money to pay for our prescriptions. That was an adventure in itself. The cost of the CHANTIX was - well let's just say it's expensive. Will it be worth it? I certainly hope so. If I see this quitting thing to the end then the answer will be yes.

For 26 years I have smoked cigarettes. Up until recently, I didn't even want to quit. I don't know what happened but at the beginning of this year I got the urge to quit. Off to the doctor Superman and I went and we walked out with the prescriptions in our hand. We went straight to the pharmacy to check on the price of filling the prescription. Ok, we had to go home and regroup and figure out how we were going to pay for the prescription. Income tax rebate! Oh yeah!

Our prescriptions are filled and sitting on each one of our desk. We took our first pill yesterday. I had gotten to the point that I was smoking over 2 packs a day. I opened a pack yesterday around 7pm. Today at 8pm, I have 4 cigarettes left in that pack. From 2 packs a day to 16 cigarettes in 24 hours. I already see progress.

I smoked my first cigarette about 1 hour after I took my first pill. It didn't taste any different. About 2 hours after my first pill I smoked my second cigarette. It tasted different. Almost like I wasn't smoking. More like I was just taking in air through a straw. Really kinda weird.

Today I haven't had the cravings like I usually do. The cigarettes taste a little different. They are actually kinda tasting weird. I have a little bag that has life savers and gum and tic tacks in it. I'm not much for hard candy but sometimes I think I want a cigarette, I just pop in a piece of gum.

I am pretty amazed that I am seeing a difference so soon. I'll keep you informed as the days go by.

4 comments:

karisma said...

WooHoo! Way to go Alta! I am very proud of you! I know you can do it!

Alta said...

Thank you so very, very much! That is the kind of support that I really need.

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog.....I've never been a smoker,but I've seen how hard it is for people who are,to quit. Good Luck to you and stay strong! You can do it!

Alta said...

I am now into my 3rd week and I am doing really well. I have noticed that stress is the main reason I smoked. On my way to report my progress.