Thursday, April 12, 2007

Values and Morals

How can someone be so selfish? My sister is who I am talking about.
Today my sister drove from North Georgia to pick up my mom and take my mom to spend a week or two with her. I know my sister worked all night and drove 6 hours to pick up my mom.

Ok - hold on - I am building up to it.

I made it a point to go over to visit my mom and my sister today at my mom's house.
My sister was in bed trying to get some sleep. I tickled her nose and she just looked at me and said "What are you doing". I just smiled and covered her head back up and said "I just wanted to say hello, go back to sleep". I visited with my mom for about an hour and then I had to head home to be there when the boys came in from school. On my way out I mentioned to my mom that I would really like it if they could come by before they headed back to my sisters house.

Around 3:30 I get a phone call from my mom. She was asking if we could go over to her house. I told her that the boys had homework and that we have a meeting with our case worker this evening around 6:00. Then my mom wanted to put my sister on the phone so that I could explain that I have a lot to get done and that I couldn't come over.
So now I was on the phone with my sister and she had to explain to me that she had this long drive back home and my neice that was with her had to be at work at midnight and she had a term paper that was due tomorrow (Friday).
I also explained that I had 3 kids that had homework to do, a meeting with our case worker, supper to cook, baths for the kids and a set bedtime.
And then she had to tell me that she wouldn't be able to come over because this and that and this and that. And how she really wanted to meet the boys but she would have to meet them on her return trip when she brings mom home, because she will have more time. My comment to that was this - "None of us may be alive then". I believe that we should cherish family and friends because no on is promised tomorrow.
Now they had to go within 7 miles of my house - no matter what direction they traveled unless they went 30 miles out of the way.

Without getting into a big arguement because neither one of us would give in, we agreed to disagree and that was it.

Yeah right - that was it. Over the phone anyway. I am hurt! I just became a mom, I am her sister, we grew up in the same house with the same parents and the same set of values and morals. What happened? Is it me?

I am not surprised by what she did, I am disappointed. I was there for the birth of 2 of her 3 children. I have taken them for the summer for 5 years in a row. I love her children as if they were mine. My husband says that it is just part of her selfishness showing. That this is the way she is and there is nothing that I can do about it. It still hurts.

No comments: