Wednesday, November 07, 2007

It Was Just Halloween

Ok, I admit it. I have been out of the loop. I mean way out of the loop. Wasn't yesterday Halloween?
Oh no! Today is the 8th of November. Where do the days go? So much is still going on around here. I think that home schooling the boys is what takes up most of my time. Oh don't get me wrong, I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. But it sure can eat up some hours in the day. So can doctor appointments and laundry and dishes and this and that. LOL

My sister Janet was here for about 4 days. Sometimes I think I have a mental block when she's in town. I have to admit, this time while she was here she stayed with my mom. My mom had surgery on the 31st and she is doing really well. I didn't have to run from my house to my moms house and then back again. That was a blessing in itself. And my sister actually came over and helped with school. It was pretty darn cool. I was actually able to see the boys doing school work while I piddled around the house doing a few very needy chores. It was like the boys had a substitute teacher. They even acted like they had a substitute teacher. It was kinda funny.
The real funny part about it all was that my sister got us turned around driving home from the airport. Then she got us turned around driving back to the airport. Gotta teach her how to read the map and directions on my laptop. It sure is hard to drive and navigate all at the same time. Especially when your navigation is on the laptop. It's ok though - we didn't get lost (which I never get lost), and we made it to the airport with time to spare. The worst part was having to get up at 3:30 am to pick her up at my moms house at 4 am and then drive to the airport. I don't generally go to bed until around 1 or 2 am. Shoot, I was having to go out of bed about the time I usually go to bed.

I had planned for a couple of days to take the boys to the University of Florida Gator homecoming parade. I even ask Janet if she would like to go with us. I had thought about it and mulled it over - the whole parking and traffic thing. I finally figured that we could all park somewhere and then take the city bus to the parade. Kinda kill 2 birds with 1 stone thing - parade and riding the city bus. I wanted to give our boys the experience of riding the city bus and they all wanted to ride. Except for JD, he is always a little apprehensive about new things. He did just fine with it.
So I checked out the bus schedule and the parade schedule online and I had a plan. We headed to our early doctor appointment and then to the parade. The doctor appointment is a whole different story (and yes - I got it all fixed). We parked our car at the mall, called Janet to find out about how long it would be before she got there. And as luck would have it - she rolled in with about 30 seconds to spare. 10 am and we are on the bus, headed to the parade. We had to hike across campus but that was fun too. We walked down the street where all the floats and bands were lining up. I think walking among all of the people in the parade was more fun than watching the parade. We lucked out again when we went looking for a place to sit to watch the parade. We were able to sit on a block wall. Oh my goodness it was crowded but everyone was pretty calm. Ok - too calm once the parade started. Janet and I talked about how everyone seemed so dull - no cheering or clapping or such. Janet and I tried to get others in the crowd going and it worked for a minute or two but that was it. I am just happy that the boys really enjoyed the parade.
After the parade we had to hike back across campus to the bus stop. We only had to wait about 15 minutes and we were on the bus again. I thought it was pretty darn cool that we only paid $2 a person and we could ride all day long as many times as we wanted to. Now the boys and I are thinking that we will do that again. We will make it an all day trip in the city and visit lots of places and ride the bus from here to there.

Now that I know that yesterday wasn't Halloween, I think I can finish my week. LOL

No comments: